Things on the List

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Super Cool Cucumber Salad

I miss my garden.  I have spring fever already and it isn't even winter yet.  With all the changes around here, and all the normal stuff that goes on during a busy summer, there was no garden, and there will be no canning.  I have muddled through on the charity of friends and family who do have gardens, or greedily roaming around the farmer's markets whenever and wherever I find them.  Oddly, I have been buying and taking any cucumbers that I can find.  The reason this is strange is because I have not, up to this point in my life, been a fan of cucumbers.  (unless they come in the form of a dill pickle)  I think that my change in taste might have something to do with this salad. . .

On a side note, the longer you let the cucumbers and onions sit in their vinegary little bath, the more wonderful flavor they will soak up, so if you can make this a couple hours before you need to eat, you will not be sorry.

4-5 Medium  or 6-8 small cucumbers
1 Sweet Yellow or Red Onion sliced into thin half moons
1 Tbsp Salt
2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp of Dill Weed
1  tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
Creole Seasoning mix (optional)

Slice up your cucumbers, I was making a pretty big batch here and was cutting up other things too so I got the trusty mandolin out.

Place your cucumbers and onions in a bowl, add the salt and vinegar.  Stir to combine and then put them in the fridge and let them sit for at least 30 minutes.  Toss them around at least once during their soaking time.

While your cucumbers are soaking, stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, dill week, and red pepper flakes in the bowl that you want to serve this in.  If you are letting your cucumbers and onions soak for longer than 30 minutes, go ahead and put this mixture in the fridge as well.


When the cucumbers and onions have had their soak, drain them and
add them to the bowl with the sour cream dressing and toss to combine.  Taste the salad and add the creole seasoning and additional salt  to your taste, taking care not to over salt this.  Every cucumber soaks up salt differently and it is easy to go overboard.  Serve this along with your favorite grilled summer meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly